Monday, July 13, 2009

Breakin' the Law


I have seen this sign every day for 4 weeks. It is located on a trail head near our hotel. I wondered what it meant. There were guesses: "caution, birds of prey", "nature ahead", honestly, I had no idea what this 17 letter word was trying to tell me. So I remained ignorant and continued to walk by it thinking, "What is is trying to tell me?" But, because ignorance is generally not my style, I took a pic of it and brought it back to the hotel room. I pulled up google translate and typed it in. Nature Reserve. Hmm. I know the laws of US nature reserves. I realized I have likely broken German law. I do not want to do this...
The baby toads have to go free. I spoke with the kids about it, they were fine with letting them go. I was more attached to them than they were! But it was OK, I didn't want tears or regret. So the Schwarzwald toads are back in the Schwarzwald. We only kept them for a few days. I was worried they weren't getting enough to eat. As I stated before, I didn't want to be the cause of their demise ;) Nevermind how small and thin they were when we released them...hopefully they didn't fall prey to the gigantic beetles or the abominable ant colonies. I will post pics of the 1 meter (yay, metric system) high ant hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment